Ethiopian Couple Reunited in June 2021 Led By Attorney Medya Ansari
Iranian National Detained at Arizona Border in June 2021 Led By Attorney Medya Ansari
Nigerian Woman Granted Asylum in June 2021 Led By Attorney Medya Ansari
East African Woman Granted Asylum in US
Saudi Arabian Woman Granted Asylum in US
West African Family Granted Asylum in US
Our San Jose Immigration Attorneys
Know The Law So You Don’t Have To
If you don’t understand all the U.S. immigration laws, don’t worry. We do. At Getachew & Ansari Immigration Attorneys, P.C., we have been helping people like you for decades. We have the skill, knowledge and compassion to make a difference.
Whether you are in danger of removal, you want to bring your family to the country, you need asylum, or you have other concerns, turn to us. Our immigration lawyers have earned the respect of clients across the globe for their caring approach and lasting results. Call our office in San Jose, California, today: 408-292-7995.
Immigration Help In San Jose And Beyond
Why Choose Us?
- We truly care. You and your case matter to us. We will do our best to get you the results you need.
- We take a personal approach. We don’t provide generic legal advice. Instead, we tailor our counsel to your unique situation. We also treat you like you’re part of our family, walking with you from beginning to end.
- We have over 25 years of experience. You can feel confident that we have the knowledge and skill you want on your side.
- We offer global help. We regularly assist clients from all around the world. This includes the Middle East, Africa, Europe, Australia, Central America, South America and Asia.
“She is the best immigration attorney. She was very helpful, understanding and very easy to talk to.”
– David A.
Going Above And Beyond For You
Because you are important to us, we are willing to fight hard for the results you need. Our attorneys know how hard it is to be an immigrant. They also know how confusing immigration law can be. Let our team take care of all the paperwork and problems for you. You can count on us to go above and beyond for you and your loved ones.
Reach out to us and get started with an initial consultation. We’re ready to help.
What is a green card?
A green card is an identity document of permanent residents in the United States. Officially known as a permanent resident card, the card bestows upon the holder the privilege of living and working permanently in the country.
What is the green card eligibility criteria for applying through Family?
The eligibility of applying for a green card varies depending on your individual status.
While applying through family, the green card petition must be filed by someone else.
You can apply as :
- Immediate Relative of a US Citizen
- Family-based Preference Categories
- Fianceé(e) of a US citizen or the child of the fiancé(e)
- Widow(er) of a US citizen
- VAWA(Violence against Women Act) Self-petitioner or Victim of battery or extreme cruelty
What is the green card lottery?
Under the Diversity Immigrant Visa Program, 50000 immigrant visas are annually created and the entries are selected through a randomly drawn lottery. Only applicants from countries with low immigration to the US are eligible to participate. The winners usually reside outside the US and immigrate to the country through consular process and immigrant visa issuance.
I don’t have my green card with me. Can I enter the country?
Green cards can be issued or replaced only in the US and are mandatory for re-entry into the country as a legal permanent resident.
If you left your card in the US, get it mailed to you by a friend. If lost/stolen/ expired, obtain a Boarding Foil which is valid for 30 days as a single entry authorization.
I have received a deportation order. Is there any way to avoid deportation due to criminal conviction?
If you are an immigrant charged with a criminal case, you can argue that your crime is a minor offense.
Or you can change your status if you have a relative who is a US citizen by applying for a green card.
File a Motion to Withdraw Plea to challenge the conviction and plea unawareness of subsequent deportation proceedings when you plead guilty. If granted, you can get a new trial.
Seek asylum if you fear for your life in your home country.
You can also file a I-601 waiver to avoid removal proceedings that excuse some crimes of moral turpitude.
What to do when ICE knocks on my door?
When the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) knock on your door, it is important to know you have rights. You can exercise these rights.
- Don’t open the door and ask them to identify themselves by the names.
- Ask them if they have a warrant for your arrest. If so, ask them to slide it under the door.
- Don’t answer any incriminating question. You have the right to remain silent.
- If they force themselves into your home, don’t resist. Instead, ask for your lawyer and try to document the happenings.
What immigration cases do you handle?
At Yemi Getachew Immigration Law Office, San Jose, we handle all immigration related cases including but not limited to:
- U Visa
- Family immigration
- Marriage immigration
- Removal Defense
At Getachew & Ansari Immigration Attorneys, P.C., San Jose, we have helped thousands of immigrant families to overcome obstacles and secure their stay in the United States. Call our San Jose office now for help with your immigration issue.